It’s supposed to snow today. It’s cold and there’s a frost warning until 9am. I don’t mind winter, except for the gray and dreariness that comes with it. One of many reasons I miss Boise. But the shuffle today was good and has helped to lift my spirits out of the cold, dark funk that was beginning to grip me.
1. Empty – The Cranberries. The music is good – I love guitar – but I find the singing a bit annoying. Just the way she’s singing the word “empty”. It’s just too much – the constant up and down fluctuation “eeeeee eeeeee eeeeeee” ugh! enough already.
2. Amai – Amasong. This CD was given to me by a prof at BSU who sang with the choir. It’s a feminist/lesbian choir. The professor is bi. Not that that matters at all. This song is excellent. The choir sounds fabulous and the African drums and other percussion is raising my mood.
3. Didn’t Mean to Turn You On – 2nd II None. This isn’t the Robert Palmer version – although there may have been some of that song somewhere in here. I listened for about 30 seconds and had to move on. Sorry, but it’s a little too early in the morning to hear about the bulge in this guy’s pants.
4. Trav’lin’ Light – Billie Holiday. This is the only Lady Day song I think I’ve heard my ipod play. It is a great song and she sounds smooth and mellow, so I don’t mind.
5. Simple Pleasures – Basia Trzetrzelewska. This is a remnant from my jazz phase. She had a popular song – I don’t remember what it was anymore. I do like her voice and most of the songs on this CD are pretty good. I usually pull it out once a year or so and that’s enough. There are a few songs on the album that just suck and I think that’s what kills it for me.